Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thing 8 & 9: RSS Feeds and the People Who Love Them

...or is it hate them? Or maybe both. No, hate is too strong of a word. So far these activities have taken me the longest, and it is because I am in love and, well, "not love" with RSS feeds.

I remembered a lot from the in-house RSS training from HCL, when we began our own feeds, but hadn't been back to RSS Land until these exercises. Thanks to Thing 8, I now have a Bloglines account teeming with everything from blogs devoted to digital librarianship to clips from "The Daily Show." Check it out! http://www.bloglines.com/blog/sobieckj

Thing 9 had me explore Merlin, and I found Ms. Beth Tribe's "23 Things ning," which I joined. I've bookmarked many of the feed-finding tools so I can explore them later. Sounds like love, right?

Here comes the "not love" part. All that great info, put aside just for me...but where do I find the time? I am the person feeds may not have been created for. I love the quick accessibility to a variety of info (I mean, who doesn't who works in a library), but it is too much of a good thing. My "inch deep, mile wide" brain has led me to subscribe to more feeds than I will ever have time for.

Any advice out there to help with my problem? I 12-step feed program? Anything?

No comments: