Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thing 16--Wiki Wiki Hey Wiki Hin...Nevermind (PeeWee Reference)

My del.icio.us account now has some wikis. Wikis are good. Wikis are trouble. They are troubling, but in a good way. I like the idea of wikis--truly (read with no cynicism, really). A wiki is ideally what the Web is for, but in a smaller format. Everyone shares info on a connected topic. It is liquid and specific. I really like that. I do fear the problems: spam, jerks, outdated info never being updated, abandoned wikis floating in space for any innocent student to stumble upon and think "Ah ha, this source supports my theory that there be monsters at the edge of the earth. I'll use it!" But if there is proper wiki maintenance and it is used in a somewhat controlled way, it could be fantastic! Hey, LTS, how about a wiki for customers and librarians about all our new open source software?

No comments: